Reddit Reddit reviews Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria: And Other Conversations About Race

We found 36 Reddit comments about Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria: And Other Conversations About Race. Here are the top ones, ranked by their Reddit score.

Popular Adolescent Psychology
Psychology & Counseling
Health, Fitness & Dieting
Books
Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria: And Other Conversations About Race
Basic Books AZ
Check price on Amazon

36 Reddit comments about Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria: And Other Conversations About Race:

u/nahmayne · 66 pointsr/socialskills

If you want advice from an actual black person and not someone who thinks that culturally black people are just so different and being "uncivilized" is a part of it, I'll give it to you.

I'll address the last part of your post first. Whether or not black people want to be seen the way you see them is irrelevant to most black people unless you specifically hinder or slander them in any way so we can throw that out of the window. We simply don't care as we have lives to lead. Stamping out this mindset in the minds of people who have power is a part of that life for many of us.

But as we are people we have other things to take care of as well. That's the first thing. Black people are people first and foremost. We do have shared experiences that only a black person, in America, could have. Sometimes those experiences transcend borders, too. But again, we are people. All with different aspirations, outlooks on life, upbringing, attitudes and a whole host of other traits assigned to humans.

Next time you see a black fight that you're apparently used to seeing now think that if they weren't black would you be assigning anything to them or their culture at all. Odds are you'd just see them as people in a fight that started for reasons you shouldn't really care about. Have you ever seen black kids getting beat up by black kids? White kids beat up by other white kids? Latinos beating up Asians? A good deal of crime happens in areas in proximity to the person doing the crime and America is incredibly segregated.

Now, your second paragraph. That's what we call the "good ones" rationalization. It's the way people can use the word nigger or other epithets and claim they have black friends but one of the good ones. It's flawed thinking and quite a few people in this sub, judging by this thread, would probably have the same mindset.

My advice to you is simple. Interact with people as people. There are people who will hurt you. There are people who will want to love you. Most people don't care about your life enough because they have their own to worry about. Some of these people may be black. Hell, all of them might be the ones that try to hurt you but they're people with their own motivations for doing so and attributing it to a whole group would be as silly as any of the other examples of things you fight. Hell, even those people might want to love you at some point as well.

I would recommend reading, though. Learn the history of black people in this country. Learn the state of black people as a whole today. Learn about why these thoughts aren't anything new or unique to you. Learn about why they have persisted.

A couple books I recommend are Black Power: The Politics of LiberationWhy Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria

I'd also say watch more things made by black creators. Dear White People is getting buzz on Netflix. Read articles from black writers. I'd recommend everything on verysmartbrothas.com

Here's one to start: “BLACK PEOPLE WOULD BE WEALTHY IF WE STOPPED BUYING JORDANS AND WEAVE” HAS ALWAYS BEEN AND WILL ALWAYS BE BULLSHIT

u/ciarao55 · 33 pointsr/worldnews

I think part of the problem is really that people are looking at only granular parts of problems today and don't have enough historical context. Its useless to follow every story about everyone and every little thing. There are lots of ups and downs in politics and there's no reason to be so reactionary to every single new and probably manufactured "scandal".... that's what's exhausting. I like to keep updated on a few big issues, I follow the careers of a few people I find inspiring (and follow a few that do things that worry me), and spend the rest of the time reading up on topics in book form... they have the advantage of being written over time, and with more vigorous standards for accuracy. The news, while still important where immediate info is necessary, is essentially click bait now. You don't need to get caught in the rip tides that pull you everywhere constantly, just understand the general trajectory of the important things.

edit: to those curious about some book recommendations: I'm by no means an expert in anything really, and the books you read should really be about the topics you personally are interested in, so don't take my word as gospel (or any author's). I like American history, ancient history, international relations, and though I think they're more boring I force myself to read about the health care system and the American education system because I feel they're important. I'm also looking to read some books on the military industrial complex and cyber security/ big data because I don't really know anything about them other than the stuff I see in passing on the news or here on Reddit. So if anyone knows a good overview of those issues, feel free to let me know.

  • For a good start on human history and the beginnings of modern economics/ intl relations (basically why the West has historically dominated), try Guns, Germs, and Steel I believe there's also a documentary if the book is too dense for your taste (it is pretty dense).

  • Perhaps if you're interested in why people get so damn heated talking politics, The Political Brain: The Role of Emotion in Deciding the Fate of the Nation

  • If you wonder why people vote against their own social and economic interest: What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America Full disclosure: I liked this book, but I lean left. I'm not sure if it matters, the point of the book is just to track how the Republican party went from being the party of elites, to the party of blue collar workers.

  • If the Supreme Court interests you at all, I liked Jeffrey Toobin's, The Nine

  • The achievement gap? Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria

  • Health care? There's a lot, but this one is an easy read and it compares the systems of Britain, Japan, Germany, and I believe Cuba (which is very good for their GDP!) and the US's. The Healing of America: A Global Quest for Better, Cheaper, and Fairer Health Care by T.R. Reid

    This is just some stuff I've listed off the top of my head. Another thing that I find helpful to better understanding intl relations are books about the major genocides of the past few decades, which are hard to get through (because of the brutal content) but... What is the What (Sudan), First they killed my father (Cambodian genocide), Girl at War (more of a autobiography, but still chilling) there's a couple of others I've read that I can't remember now.

    Anyway, just go to Good Reads and look at Contemporary Politics. Perhaps Great Courses has a political philosophy course too that you can draw from if you wanna go even farther back into the origins of society's structure and political thought.

    Also podcasts! I've just discovered these but there's a lot of audio content (FREE!) that you can listen to on your commute and whatnot. I like Abe Lincoln's Top Hat right now.

    Edit edit: wow thanks for the gold!!
u/HaricotNoir · 28 pointsr/fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu

The professor did a poor job of explaining a very important point. A possibly more straightforward way would be to explicitly define the term "racism" as a "system of advantage based on race." In a class such as that, it is an issue of semantics, because it requires that the word "racist" and "someone who is prejudiced on the basis of skin color" not be equivalent terms (as the vast majority of people employ them as such).

The students need not accept the teacher's definition outside of the classroom, but for the purposes of the subject and lecture, the teacher can at least preface the discussion that way - by stating outright that she/he will be using that definition of racism for the remainder of the semester.

For further reading on this point, I highly recommend Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria by Beverly Tatum. She eloquently explains this very point in greater detail and with far less indignation.

u/toodlesandpoodles · 24 pointsr/changemyview

That isn't what racism is. Racism is prejudice or discrimination rooted in a belief of superiority of one race over another. That there are differences in the world navigated by black people and the work navigated by white people that puts different standards on behavior isn't racist, it's culturally responsive.

We all navigate our personal worlds recognising that there are groups we are part of and groups that we are not,and adjust our behavior accordingly. You speak differently with your friends than with your parents, and cringe when your parents try to speak with you and your friends the way way you do, because it rings false, coming across as them play-acting at being part of your group. Parents tpyically love their kids to death, and kids love their parents, but your parents and your friends are different. And you may see your black and white friends as just your friends, but I guarantee your black friends see you as their white friend, because your life is not their life and your culture is not their culture. In the same manner, a rich kid may just have friends, one of whom is poor, but guaranteed that poor person views them as their rich friend, different from their other friends. This is part of the way in which privilege plays out. Those with it often don't recognize its role in insulating them from harsher aspects of life common to those without it.

The N-word was and is used to denigrate and dehumanize blacks by whites. The current internal use of it in black culture can be viewed as a cultural identifier that says, "Hey, we're in this together, dealing with the past and currentjust trying to live our lives while a lot of white people still don't see us as individuals, but just another, n-word." You aren't part of that culture and can't be, because society at large doesn't view you as black or treat you as such. So you don't get to play you are and then complain that people are being racist when they tell you you're acting inappropriately at best, and veering towards abetting racism.

They may tell you they don't sit in the student section because it isn't cool, but the deeper reason is that they probably don't feel comfortable. There are a lot of reasons that could exist for that. What percentage of your school's teachers are black? What percentage of the administrators are black? What percentage of your student government is black? Does your school have a dress code that specifically targets dress or hairstyles common within their communities? Being a majority isn't what matters. What matters is having a voice, having a say, and having ownership. You see it as your school, but do they, or is it just a school that they attend.

You should read, Why are all the black kids sitting together in the cafeteria: and other conversations about race.

u/lucyswag · 21 pointsr/wholesomememes

Here’s a couple of books that will give you strategies to be a more effective educator, especially with low-income students. Realistically the strategies are great for any kid, as all kids can use some support and empathy from the adults in the lives.

“Reading and Reaching Children Who Hurt” by Susan E. Craig - How to more effectively teach children who have experienced trauma (Adverse Childhood Experiences). His experience is the goal of the strategies given in the book. (Amazon) I haven’t read it, but she also has two more recent books, “Trauma Sensitive Schools” K-5 and 6-12

Trauma Sensitive Schools: Approaches that Work - A project by the Massachusetts Advocates for Children and Harvard Law School has free books (downloadable pdf). One focused on the background and the second is about implementing a school-wide approach.

“Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria” by Dr. Beverly Tatum - Covers the theory of racial identity development and how to support positive racial identity in an educational setting. (Amazon)

u/StuTheSheep · 15 pointsr/Teachers

I highly recommend this book: https://www.amazon.com/Black-Kids-Sitting-Together-Cafeteria/dp/0465083617

It's a discussion about the role of self-segregation in the formation of identity. While it's primarily about race, you can also apply the ideas in the book to the formation of gender identity, religious identity, and various subculture identities. It ties in very well with the adolescent stage of Erikson's psychosocial development theory.

u/wmccluskey · 11 pointsr/videos

White Americans commonly have a condition called "white guilt," and any mention of ethnicity makes them extremely uncomfortable.

There is nothing inappropriate about mentioning the most easily noticed distinction between the two actors. The negative comments shows how strained race relations are in the US that white people don't feel comfortable even mentioning something so obvious.

There's a great book that discusses this:
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Kids-Sitting-Together-Cafeteria/dp/0465083617

u/Sea_Soil · 10 pointsr/blackparents

It's not a children's book, but there is a great book for parents (and anyone) called "Why are all the black kids sitting together at the cafeteria?" it's a very easy read that gives great examples for teaching race/racism in the USA to your kids and other adults too. I highly recommend it!

u/blindcamel · 9 pointsr/Bad_Cop_No_Donut

Someone told you a lot of cops fear for their lives because of that statistic? I'd say you can safely disregard anything else that person says about race and criminal justice in America. Police are just one piece in dealing with Black crime.
Here's a great book to get you started.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Kids-Sitting-Together-Cafeteria/dp/0465083617

u/kitanokikori · 9 pointsr/Parenting

I think him finding a therapist specifically who is Black will be a big thing for him - he needs a mentor who understands what being Black in America is like, and while you can be supportive and uplifting (and that's awesome!), you just don't have that experience.

Some coworkers in the African American Employee Support Group at my work recommended this book as well - https://www.amazon.com/Black-Kids-Sitting-Together-Cafeteria/dp/0465083617, it might help (for both you to read as well as for him)

u/DeviousBluestocking · 8 pointsr/AskFeminists

Honestly, what you are going through is a normal stage of identity development. You are disoriented and self conscious, and I'm guessing you feel guilty for things other men do.

Feminists don't want you to stay in this state if for no other reason than that it is unproductive. We also don't want you to veer into anger and bitterness.

One of the best books on identity development is Why are all the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria . I highly recommend that you read this book, and learn about healthy identity development from someone who has guided tens of thousand of people through the process. She focuses on race, but her work is also applicable to gender.

u/Maxpowr9 · 6 pointsr/AskAnAmerican

I'll preface this by saying I went to a Catholic high school:

Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? by Beverly Daniel Tatum

As a "lily white boy" growing up in suburbia, this was very much an eyeopener for me. The reason I prefaced the Catholic high school was because it was assigned for my junior year Theology class whose subject material was "Catholic Social Teaching".

u/Anonymous999 · 5 pointsr/videos

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Kids-Sitting-Together-Cafeteria/dp/0465083617

This famous book's author argues that because white people don't actively give up the privileges that their skin color gives them, they continue to perpetuate a two tier system of equality. I always find the premise of the book funny...the author to me argues that whites need to "level down" instead of blacks "leveling up."

If you really want to rage, read that book. It's really famous among race theorists.

u/dontrubitin · 5 pointsr/racism

Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria: And Other Conversations About Race has a lot of helpful discussion about talking about race with kids. Here's a quick primer on anti-racist parenting, and another good one. I've also had friends recommend this short e-book, but I haven't read it yet.

u/mousedisease · 5 pointsr/education

Hi there,

When you say 'under privilaged' and mention that you are white - I assume you are about to work with a population that is primarily not white.

If that is the case, you have a very real challenge ahead of you - the challenge of recognizing and addressing your own biases before entering the classroom.

Teachers often unintentionally create classrooms full of bias and environments for negative 'self-fulfilling prophecies' for certain students. It is best to be very intentional about avoiding these common pitfalls from the start.

I'd recommend these books as a good place to start:

Other Peoples Children

Why are all the Black Kids Sitting Together....

For White Folks Who Teach In The Hood...

u/jonathansfox · 3 pointsr/changemyview

I put very little stock in the concept of gender, but I'll use whatever pronouns a person asks me to. Let's call it the "Don't Be An Asshole Principle" -- if something is important to someone else but not to you, respect the fact that they care about it, instead of treating everyone as if they share your values.

I find myself influenced by the book "Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?", by Beverly Daniel Tatum. It's been more than a few years since I've read it, but the message I took away was about how much youth and teenage years are about finding our place in the world, how we fit into the fabric of society. To a degree this happens throughout life, though the most intense searching happens in those transition years, where we're becoming an adult.

I personally find the entire concept of gender about as useless as you find additional genders beyond male and female. The whole social construct seems pretty specious to me. But I recognize that it's a way of processing and making sense of the world, a way of finding our place and making peace with society; the concept is intended to reconcile the social baggage that comes with being "male" and "female" by creating a separate division from anatomical sex, so that they become separate axes, permitting people to find a description that seems to fit them more easily.

But again, I find it pretty empty. In my mind, gender is sort of like defining geeks vs goths vs jocks as a central and important part of a person's self-image. It's not a "real" axis, just a description of some social conventions, and it's by no means comprehensive of all human society. To me, someone who identifies as "agender" or otherwise rejects the standard gender dichotomy is doing nothing more than just rejecting the social conventions and expectations that come with being male or being female. It's like everyone wants to call them goth, but they really don't identify with that scene at all; they don't identify with any of the standard cliques, so they carve something out that they feel comfortable with, call it emo, and then ask others to respect that to help craft the expectations and assumptions others will have about them.

So I personally identify as cisgendered male, not because I put any stock in gender as an inherently extant thing which matters outside its presence as (what I perceive to be) a completely fake social category, but because others find it useful and they want to know how to treat me. I say treat me like all the other guys. Though I wouldn't really care if the treated me like a girl or something else because I don't give a shit.

The thing is, I also respect that it does matter to some people. They don't identify with the categories presented to them, and are alienated by the gender constructs that we've created as a society, so they're finding their place by defining new categories. I get that and I practice the non-asshole principle of respecting what is important to other people.

u/GodOfAtheism · 3 pointsr/WTF

Depending on who's talking about it, that would be the case. Beverly Tatum wrote a book, "Why are all the Black kids sitting together in the Cafeteria", which, at one point, basically says that while active racism is what we'd normally consider being racist, if white people aren't fighting against it, they're being passively racist, since they benefit from the inherently racist system. She goes on to say that the best a minority can be is racially biased, but not racist, as racism is a systemic issue, and not an individual one.

I think the argument is a bunch of semantic bullshit personally.

u/daretoeatapeach · 2 pointsr/education

Dumbing Us Down by John Taylor Gatto

The opening essay of this short read is a condemnation of traditional schooling techniques---and it's also the speech he delivered when he (again) won the NY Teacher of the Year award. Gatto gets at the heart of why public schools consistently produce pencil pushers, not leaders. Every teacher should read this book.

How to Survive in Your Native Land by James Herndon

If Dumbing Us Down is the manifesto in favor of a more liberal pedagogy, Herdon's book is a memoir of someone trying to put that pedagogy in action. It's also a simple, beautiful easy to read book, the kind that is so good it reminds us just how good a book can be. I've read the teaching memoir that made Jonahton Kozol famous, this one is better.

The Montessori Method by Maria Montessori

In the early 1900s, Maria Montessori taught literacy to children that society had otherwise assumed were unreachable. She did this by using the scientific method to study each child's learning style. Some of what she introduced has been widely incorporated (like child-sized furniture) and some of it seems great but unworkable in overcrowded schools. The bottom line is that the Montessori method was one of the first pedagogical techniques that was backed by real results: both in test scores and in growing kids that thrive on learning and participation.

"Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?": A Psychologist Explains the Development of Racial Identity by Beverly Daniel Tatum

While not precisely a book on how to teach, this book is incredibly helpful to any teacher working with a diverse student population, or one where the race they are teaching differs from their own. It explains the process that white, black, and children of other races go through in identifying themselves as part of a particular race. In the US, race is possibly the most taboo subject, so it is rare to find a book this honest and straightforward on a subject most educators try not to talk about at all. I highly recommend this book.

If there is any chance you will be teaching history, definitely read:

Lies My Teacher Told Me and A People's History of the United States (the latter book is a classic and, personally, changed my life).

Also recommend: The Multi-player Classroom by Lee Sheldon and Teach Like a Champion by Doug Lemov

Finally, anyone who plans to teach math should read this essay, "Lockhart's Lament" [PDF at the bottom of the page].

PS, I was tempted to use Amazon affiliate links, but my conscious wouldn't let me.

u/ravencrowed · 2 pointsr/Anarchism

it depends what you mean by identity politics

certain socially ascribed identities are obviously a means of power and hierarchy reproduction that need to be destroyed.

However when well meaning activists work within the twisted logic of those identities, they inevitably prop up the social hierarchies, even though they appear to be attacking them.

Here's a good example:

"Anyone who's been to a high school or college has noted how students of the same race seem to stick together. Beverly Daniel Tatum has noticed it too, and she doesn't think it's so bad. As she explains in this provocative, though not-altogether-convincing book, these students are in the process of establishing and affirming their racial identity"

In this example, the well meaning author is using the liberal language of anti racist activism, yet far from actually destroying the paradigm of "race" she is encouraging it to be reproduced.

We all know that modern race ideology was a European colonial/imperial invention. The ideology has permeated and continues to permeate the world and racism is very much alive and well, hence the need for identity politics to make us aware of this. However, true anti-racist politics will work outside of racial ideology and continue the slow and steady process of anti racist activists who prioritize the individual and negate the very concept of race itself.

So, no identity politics is not killing the left, but we need to be careful about what IP is and if there is an oppressive hierarchal ideology, IP must work to destroying it's currency, not working within it's oppressive frameworks.

u/atchemey · 2 pointsr/CFB

Education. It is when more important in China than here for economic advancement. The "awesome experience" is definitively subjective. Just as you or I would be lost in China, and think their customs and habits odd, it would be rude for them to expect us to conform. Obviously, that is the intent of some exchange students, but to coerce (by force or social pressure) is to be violent against them.

There is quite a lot of anti-international violence and stigmatizing that goes on. I'm on a few boards and committees about discrimination and the like, and we hear complaints all the time. I guarantee you, it is a problem. When people start saying things that are problematic, I call them out, in the hopes of exerting some sort of pressure on them to help things get better. Standing by or making jokes isn't good, so I challenge it when I hear it, as I did here.

I recommend the book, "why are all the black kids sitting together in the cafeteria?" by Dr. Beverly Tatum.

u/scottfarrar · 1 pointr/baseball

I'd like a breakdown by language skills. (furthermore, I am disappointed by the overall lack of depth of the study.)

We all know the announcers are just chewing the fat up there, rarely offering any real analysis or insight. But I'd hypothesize they are more willing to praise somebody for "intangibles" if they talk to them frequently and have a good relationship. Basically, are the announcer and player on friendly speaking terms?

What this indicates is not the overt racism one may think the article is talking about.

Rather, the more subtle racism where the language barrier means a de facto segregated team and extended team-associated personnel. The situation reminds me of the book: Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?

u/facaDe577 · 1 pointr/CasualConversation

Why are all the black kids sitting together in the cafeteria?

Yes means yes

these two should be a great starting place, dealing with racism and sexism respectively.

u/mousewiz · 1 pointr/CanadaPolitics

> I think the concept of citing academia when it comes to things like racism is quite laughable. Not too long ago academia was rife with white supremacist notions - eugenics, etc.

This is a large part of the reason there is a push for different definitions of racism. The colloquial definition is one that has been shaped by a history of racism. This is to the benefit of white people as it allows us to call people racist right back when they do such uppity things as demanding equality. The push for different definitions isn't coming from (though it is supported by) white people.

> I think that not too long (hopefully) from now people will look back on this age of instituting segregated spaces for POC (at some campuses)

White people have their own safe spaces. They're called "everywhere". Sometimes dissenting opinion is useful. Most of the time dissenting opinion is people who lack background coming in and discussing things that have already been beaten to death as though they're an enlightened genius. So it's useful to ensure discussion is kept at a certain level. You wouldn't want a professor to have to waste time explaining 1+1=2 in a calculus course; black people don't want to always have to explain their racial experiences to sea lions. Or if the comic doesn't do it for you, here's a slightly higher level source.

> especially in regards to the lack of utility to amending the definition, and the inconsistency it brings

I don't entirely disagree that there's not a lot of utility in it, but so long as people are clear with their terminology I'm not going to complain.

> especially young, white, middle+ class women are advantaged in society

Well, being young, white, middle+ class puts you at an advantage over many people on its own. That's why modern feminism is all about intersectionalism. Compared to men in the same boat, though, women have two options: use their looks to get ahead in the job market, or fight against unconscious (or sometimes conscious) biases that still exist from people who are hiring. One option is direct oppression, the other option is timegated, leads to a limited set of careers (aka their choices are oppressed), and is fueled by the sexual desires of richer men (aka no equality under capitalism).

> disproportionate sentences, extreme bias in familial matters

Feminism tends to be in favour of prison reform. That is, lower sentences for all. And thanks to the many axises on which somebody can be oppressed, it is possible for both men and women to be oppressed simultaneously; feminism acknowledges this. That's where the phrase "toxic masculinity" comes from. Men still control the bulk of the money, and we're good / the particularly rich are really good at using it to oppress ourselves via law creation / enforcement, and via use of violence.

Bias in family court isn't seen as a positive. It's seen as nonsense that society still thinks women are caregivers. Being a caregiver isn't a lucrative position to be in.

> current enrollment rates in academia being way higher than men

Enrollment rates in engineering, computer science, and business are abysmal, though. Bottom line is that - whatever the reasons - men are still the people in society making money. Additionally, going back to the class thing again, men who can't hack it in university can make money in a variety of manly men professions that aren't easily available to women.

> I don't even think it touches affirmative action, or social double standards which benefit women.

Affirmative action doesn't benefit women. It counteracts unconscious bias against women (or more typically people of colour). Resume studies continue to show that that bias exists.

u/yellowmix · 1 pointr/racism

Initially this seemed to read like old news. There exists literature in psychology about identity development (Beverly Tatum's Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? covers childhood and developmental psychology very well) but I suppose adult, post-formed identity is new territory.

Tatum cites work done by William Cross on racial identity development that explains why some Blacks would be happier. When trying to assimilate into white normative culture, there is a form of self-repression. There can also be anger at a society that wants you to assimilate but will never accept you. The only thing that can make someone happy in this situation is to embrace the identity that society forces upon them and making it a positive thing.

r/psychology's out-of-hand dismissal was rather surprising, but then again, I don't know how many of the commenters are academic or practicing psychologists, or just pop-(or worse, evo-)psych enthusiasts. The op did have some interesting comments regarding hir multiracial children.

Thank you for your comment. It is very illuminating and I think there are some similarities and lessons we can take from each other.

u/WishiCouldRead · 1 pointr/AskReddit

For an in-depth discussion on this, you might want to read Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria

u/norquist · 1 pointr/psychology

Recently read "Why are all the black kids sitting together in the cafeteria?"
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Kids-Sitting-Together-Cafeteria/dp/0465083617

It may not be what you're looking for, but it goes into depth about racial identity for various races.

u/Radfad2000 · 1 pointr/psychology

These two books will give you interesting ides which will further your investigation into this topic. Some Psych, some social commentary, some sociology, some political commentary. All are worthwhile and will help you break open the subject matter.

http://www.amazon.com/Talk-About-Race-Conversations-Resegregation/dp/0807032840

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Kids-Sitting-Together-Cafeteria/dp/0465083617/ref=pd_sim_b_1

u/sasquatch606 · 0 pointsr/WTF

I call BS on all of it. In her book here, she basically argues that most if not all white are racist and minorities aren't/can't be. She basically attempted to change the definition of racism.

I'm shocked that this book has such a high rating and sad.

u/iBobRoss · 0 pointsr/BannedFromThe_Donald

Yes, some racists have used the word "white" in conjunction with the word "pride". This does not mean they own the phrase, nor does it mean a white person can't be proud of their heritage. No one is arguing that they haven't uttered those words

Saying "white pride" is not solely indicative of racism. Context is more important than you realize, bud.
Have racists said it? Sure.

Some racists also go to Wendy's - this does not mean that they own Wendy's, nor does it mean that everyone who likes Wendy's is also a racist simply because a marginalized group decided to utilize it

I suggest you use one of the books sourced in the link you just sent - https://www.amazon.com/Black-Kids-Sitting-Together-Cafeteria/dp/0465083617

u/drunkengeebee · 0 pointsr/oregon

>I don't see how that matters

If you don't understand why this matters, I would suggest you read up on race relations and the cause and effect of modern day segregation. A good starting point on this is this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Kids-Sitting-Together-Cafeteria/dp/0465083617

u/megabreath · -2 pointsr/soccer

I can't find anywhere that says this team excludes white kids... The fact that they happen to be all black seems to make a lot of soccer fans upset - just look at this discussion on the Philadelphia Union fan page.

Why does it make so many people upset when oppressed/marginalized people self-organize into groups? Try reading Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together In the Cafeteria?

u/GrudaAplam · -2 pointsr/writing

Tatum argues that racism is learned, not hardwired.

u/ocdrj28 · -11 pointsr/AskMen

I'd invite you to read this book: http://amzn.com/0465083617

You'll notice that it's not about gender, so you can rest assured that you're not reading feminist ideology, something I'm sure you'd chafe at the thought of.

But systemic advantage is certainly real, and certainly colors your perception of even something as seemingly fundamental as "logic."

u/commonslip · -27 pointsr/AskReddit

God, your post reeks of write privilege. A twelve year old black kid probably doesn't have to go far to find out he is subject to racism and need only look on the internet to learn the history, with all its positive and negative aspects, of his people's struggle for legal rights and social privileges enjoyed by white people.

In my opinion his reaction, while not right, is entirely understandable for an adolescent male of an oppressed minority.

You and your son have got to deal with the fact that racism is still something that effects his friend's life every fucking day, even if, because you are white, you can casually forget about it entirely.

I'm not saying you are wrong about anything, but the tone of your post is extremely myopic.

I suggested reading "Why are all the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria" to get some insight into what is going on for black kids especially during just this stage of their life, when they first become aware that their skin color is going to disadvantage them (or at least cause people to treat them differently) for the next 60 years.

Try to see the world from his perspective, is what I am saying. The kid did some wrong stuff, but nothing more or less misguided than any twelve year old in a rough situation. It is insane, however, to blame him for teaching your child about racism.